Friday, September 2, 2011

Welcome to the blog!

I want to give a shout out to everybody reading this first post. Howdy to friends from Facebook. Salutations to Tarot Scholars, Zodiac Freaks, and Spelunkers of the Subconscious.  

Since I was little, I have been fascinated with the concept of precognition and, indeed, anything paranormal. As a child, I wanted to learn as much as I could about telekinesis, psychic abilities, and Berserkers (and demonic possession, but that's for another time).  When I was 15, I bought my first deck of Tarot cards, and I fell in love. I see Tarot as a psychological tool, as useful as a Rorschach test (if not more so).  There are many facets and uses for Tarot cards, and I hope to talk about them in this blog. 

Around the same age I got into Tarot cards, I began to seriously study the Zodiac. The three sentence horoscope in the daily paper, I believe, does not do astrology much justice. I see the Zodiac as a system of archetypes (I will discuss that too, don't worry!),  and, as such, it can be useful for self-knowledge and healing. As a side note, I will refer to the Zodiac sign formerly known as Cancer, and the people who dwell in it, as Luna, Moon Children (Moonies), as well as Cancer. This is not to be arrogant, as I know Cancer is the name this sign has been called for millennia. It's just that I feel we poor Cancers have enough to deal with, what with having the reputations of being emotional and soggy and clingy, and having an animal associated with pubic lice as our mascot, without having to deal with the stigma of having the same name as a terrible disease.  That's just me. It'll be hard to break the habit, but I will try. 

Of course, everyone dreams, even if we don't remember it in the morning. I believe science should invent a device that records dreams, but until then, we'll just have to keep those notebooks and pens by our pillows! Dreams are universal, and what makes them so wonderful is that they connect us (as we all dream) while at the same time underscoring our individuality.  Let's discuss dreams here, shall we? 

Now, I know the question on your minds, which is, "Kathy, what the hell is a Turtlephoenix?" Well, a Turtlephoenix is simply a chimera of my two of my favorite animals (I have others, but these two resonate with me the most).  Turtles I associate with wisdom and the sign of Luna, as it carries its shell on its back, and thus is always nice and snug at home. They are associated with both water and earth, which are feminine elements.  According to the Ojibwe of Michigan, a turtle was responsible for carrying the newborn earth on its back. It is a nurturing creature. Plus, they're very cute, what with their little smiles, and their funky back patterns. 
The Phoenix is very personal for me as a healing symbol. Phoenixes (Phoeni?) show the cycle of life--you have cold, ashen times, and blazing, healthy, happy times, and both are necessary. They are beautiful and their tears heal wounds. They balance turtles because they symbolize the elements of air and fire. They are adventurous, at least to me, and they symbolize nobility and bravery. 

So, there we are. Next updates, I will be taking about the Tarot and what to use it for, my different decks (they come in different flavors), and archetypes (which are necessary to understand many things). 



3 comments:

  1. On archetypes: I've been thinking a lot about Hel lately. Maria Tatar's book, Enchanted Hunters talks about how children's tales constantly combine abstract beauty and detailed horror to imbed itself in and awaken the imagination. I keep thinking of Hel-half beautiful maiden, half rotting corpse, and I think: that's the epitome of children's stories, according to this theory. Perhaps it's appropriate that Helheim is at the bottom of the world tree-the young start close to where they end and life is just the circling round of sap in the life-tree of blood in the veins. What's real, what's true, lies behind the perpetually half-open doors of Helheim. If the dead see only one half of Hel and the living only the other, which way do you think if would be? I think many would say the living see corpse till she turns to take them and that the dead see nostalgic maiden. I wonder if the dead see the corpse because they now know about rot and aging while the living really see beauty. They know the corpse is there-they fear it, but all we can really tell is the simple, unconquered virgin and we long to see the complex truth of that dark, horrific side.

    Loki's and his children really do open connections by being boundaries that can separate while mingling with both sides, don't they? I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whitney, that is a question that I will now be pondering. It is one of those questions that we cannot know the answer to. I think it depends on the person's frame of mind at the time. Those who thirst for vengeance want to believe a rotting corpse will greet those they hate. Those who are suffering in life will see the peace of death as pure and beautiful.

    As for the dead--I would like to think Hel is beautiful for those who deserve it, and horrifying for those who are not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. I'm sure you're right that a lot of people would want it that way, but do you really think Hel judges? I don't think so. The great go to Vahalla, and Hel lives among everyone else-daughter to a giantess and the trickster Loki who doesn't mind killing. I doubt she acts like St. Peter or thinks overmuch about each person's quality. Her job is the gateway and to mind what is hers. If she has rules about which side they see I doubt it has anything to do with punishing/rewarding them.

    ReplyDelete